Monday 31 August 2009

The Great Risk - Part 5

DAILY BYTE

If you’ve been hearing the challenge of the gospel this week to risk yourself a little more for life’s sake and love’s sake, then I’d urge you to act. Now is the time for you to do something about that nagging sense of conviction you’ve been feeling inside – to invite someone to church, or get involved in a new area of service, or offer greater hospitality, or change your job, or open your wallet in greater generosity, or open our mouth more boldly in speaking out against injustice, or daring to love more lavishly. Whatever God is calling you to, I urge you to go for it. And you will discover God’s abundance flowing to you and through you in the most remarkable & joyous way.

As we bring this week’s devotions to a close, I’d like to share a personal story.

Earlier this year I was invited by the music teacher at my daughter’s school to be a part of a string ensemble that was to play at a special Easter concert. I was to play second violin. I knew the deal – music that was beyond my limited technical ability; just one practice immediately before the concert; and other musicians of superior ability. It just so happened that on this particular occasion the first violinist right next to me was none other than the associate concert master of the KZN Philharmonic. The double bass two seats to my right is also a member of the KZN Philharmonic. The chap on the cello next to me used to play for the KZN Youth Orchestra. And then there was me, just to round off the ensemble.

(Can you see where this is going?)

Well, it was an Easter concert, and thankfully this is an Easter story of good news. Because believe it or not, I didn’t screw up. I played. I participated. Of course, I missed many of the notes, and many that I played were wrong. But that’s not the point. The point is that I played, and the music sounded really really good. Which had nothing to do with the merits of my playing, but everything to do with the fact that a diverse group of people were risking themselves in making music together. And as I did so it was for me an experience of great joy.

Now I’m fully aware that if another member of the KZN Philharmonic had been playing second violin the music would have been even better. But dare I say it, what we had that day was certainly more…interesting.

Maybe that’s why the master entrusts his bounty to all, including the little ones, and asks us to risk putting it all into play.

And what if you risk and lose? Well, imagine another ending to the parable, as suggested by Paul Duke.

He writes, “Suppose the third servant did not hide his gift. Let’s say he took that million bucks and built a shelter for the homeless. He fed the poor, gave job training, gave literacy training, told them of God’s love. Some flourished, but others were not grateful, did not get better. And one night a gang of them stole everything and burned the place to the ground.

And the master came back. And the third servant having heard the fine reports of his friends, had to step forward and say, “I have nothing. I lost everything you gave me. And the master said, ‘Well done, I’ll give you more, come into my joy.”

Of course in the parable Jesus told, the ones who took the risk didn’t lose at all. That’s the amazing thing about God’s fortune in our hands – to give it, is never in the end to lose it.

Have you known anybody in your life who risked something for love’s sake or for Christ’s sake, and were sorry that they did?

The time for playing it safe is past. Take the great risk that God entrusts to you. It is truly a gift of great love.

PRAY AS YOU GO

Thank you, gracious God, for entrusting me with a part to play in your great ensemble. Thank you that under your hand, the contribution of my life can add to the music of love that can fill this world with healing and transforming grace. Help me to let go of my insecurities, uncertainties, inadequacies and fears and trust that your power really is made perfect in weakness. Amen.