Friday 18 September 2009

The Mary and Martha in all of us

DAILY BYTE

Mary and Martha were sisters living in the same house; they were part of the same household which meant a great deal more than it does in our overly individualistic society today. In so many ways both are part of the same essential spiritual experience.

Mary and Martha live within each one of us. Martha was busy, active, worried and distracted, and as a result tended to be more than a little self-preoccupied. This contributed to her feeling somewhat of a victim and becoming resentful of her sister Mary, who felt free to sit at Jesus’ feet and listen in contemplation – Mary, who in this situation was more open and receptive.

In this sense, the two sisters are not simply two different personalities; rather they represent two different dimensions of each of us. My life gets out of balance all the time. I get busy, stressed, harried, harassed, worried and frazzled; and it’s like God reminds me then, “But you are missing the ONE thing – harmony – the busier you are the MORE you need to take the time out to listen to me and to allow me to direct the course of your day.”

So perhaps we all need less pie charts, lists, and organisational flow diagrams, and maybe we just need more of the ONE thing – to spend more time listening to God.

Listen carefully and you may begin to hear it too – the beat and rhythm of God’s heart, God’s love and God’s purpose in this world. Yes, it beats also in your world, and may you seek to live in harmony with that.

PRAYER

O Lord I hand over to you all my worries and concerns, trusting in your guidance and care. Help me to live in closer harmony with the beat of your purpose and will in this world. Amen.

READING

Luke 10: 38-42

Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.”