Monday 23 November 2009

Wind

DAILY BYTE

There is one further lesson about calling that the story of Abraham teaches us, and this is going to sound a little strange initially. But it is that following our calling is like walking with the wind at our backs.

Did you notice that the original poem of Abraham’s call ends on somewhat of a jarring note? It says in Genesis 12.3 that “I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse.”

What are we to understand by this? In the midst of promised blessing, why is it ok to include a curse? Is that not just mean and petty and vengeful?

Well, Brian McLaren helps us to understand this part of the call better by reminding us of the old Irish blessing of the wind being at your back, and saying that the idea of cursing on this poem suggests that any who oppose Abraham’s descendants in their co-operation with God would find the wind of God’s displeasure in their faces.

Abraham’s call extends to all who are descended from him. Biblically that means all of us who have chosen to follow his God. We are ALL part of Abraham’s faith family and we are all being enrolled as God’s helpers or collaborators ... and THE WIND will be at our backs as we co-operate with God in the ongoing creation of goodness in this world.

Yet, equally it is true that any who opposes the general direction of this good would be working against God, they would be fighting the wind of God’s presence in this world, they would be walking into the wind!

I remember recently running down Curry Road in Durban and feeling great. I was just flying along! It was only when I moved up to Musgrave Road (parallel to Curry) and began running in the opposite direction that I found I had previously been running with the wind at my back. I found that running into the wind was nowhere near as easy or pleasant.

In essence then, hearing and obeying our calling is to walk with the wind of God’s spirit at our backs.

So then, may you stop to listen to that hard-to-hear voice that is carried along on the wind. May you hear and see how God is continually working his goodness and love, and continually recreating grace and mercy into this broken, hurting world. God has started a resistance movement against all evil in this world and so God desires all of us who have descended from Abraham in faith to begin walking in a direction with this wind at our backs.

May this be you and me ... may we hear the call and may we walk with the wind of God’s spirit at our backs.

PRAY AS YOU GO

Almighty God, help me to listen constantly for your voice, and help me to walk with the wind of your Spirit at my back. I commit myself to being a part of your ongoing creation of goodness in this world. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

FOCUS READING

Genesis 12: 1-4

Now the LORD said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed." So Abram went, as the LORD had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran.