Monday 28 June 2010

Promises & Purpose - Part 1

We’re practically half way through the year, if you’re anything like me, you may already be feeling the overwhelming need to ‘come up for air’ and catch your breath in the midst of the hectic pace of life right now. Hopefully, these devotions this week will provide a brief moment for you to do just that each day.

The format of the Barking Dog-Collar this week will be a little different from usual. Instead of a whole lot of words, theological commentary and faith-talk – valuable as all of that is – this week we will simply be allowing a few poems and prayers to speak to us and hopefully stir something within us.

They are all poems and prayers that explore, in one way or another, the themes of God’s promise and purpose for our lives, and our response to that. You are encouraged not to rush through them, but to slow down, breathe, read leisurely and simply enjoy!

NEW DAY by Donald Schmidt

O God,
you who promise to make all things new:
does that include me?
Will you make me new?

Cleanse me from top to toe,
renew my heart
revise my mind
revive my worth.

For I am poured out,
emptied,
ready to be filled:

but with what?

Fill me
with your gracious self,
O God.

Be you...in me.

GOD IN YOU by Meister Eckhart (14th century mystic)

A pear grows into a pear tree,
and a hazelnut grows into a hazelnut tree,
and a seed of God grows into God.
God does not ask anything else of you
but to let yourself go
and let God be God in you.

No comments: