Thursday 22 July 2010

Undivided heart

DAILY BYTE

Today we continue looking at the story of Martha and Mary from Luke 10:38-42

But we need to be careful, because the story of Martha and her sister Mary is wide open to abuse. It has often been misinterpreted as a story that pits one form of discipleship against the other – the practical doers, like Martha, against those, like Mary, who like to listen & pray. As if these divergent expressions of faith were mutually exclusive.

We need to guard against falling into that trap. In this story Jesus is NOT saying that the life of contemplation and prayer is more valuable than the life of service and action. In fact, immediately preceding this passage we find the story of the Good Samaritan, in which the point is made abundantly clear, that good neighborliness requires us to show compassion & care to others in concrete ways.

In offering the hospitality of her home, Martha is doing precisely that. Or is she? You see, although she was going through the motions of offering the gift of hospitality, and to outward appearances at least was doing everything right, if we read the text closely we’ll see that Martha wasn’t really present to Jesus and the privileged task that was hers. There wasn’t a spaciousness of heart and spirit within her. Instead, she was consumed by what her sister Mary was doing, or rather not doing to help her, and the seeming unfairness of that.

Her frustration and resentment finally bursts out as she comes to Jesus and asks, ‘Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to help me.’

And it sounds to us like Martha has a valid point. ‘Fair’s fair, Mary. Do your bit to help.’ Except that Jesus saw it differently. It wasn’t that he didn’t care. It’s just that he could recognize in Mary an attentiveness to his presence and the freedom of an undivided focus. An attentiveness and an undivided focus that is all too rare in this world, and he would not take that away from her. In fact, he wished for Martha the same – whatever she was doing. Whether it was the dishes, or joining Mary at his feet. ‘You are worried and distracted by many things,’ he said, ‘but there is need of only one thing!’ Had Martha been singularly attentive to the responsibility and privilege that was hers, the hospitality that she offered, instead of being a source of resentment would have been a source of blessing.

Her story is a reminder to us that how we do something is every bit as important as what we do. Our attitude can transform even the most menial tasks into something sacred, or equally it can diminish high and holy callings into tedious, lifeless chores.

Are there any areas in your life where you are simply going through the motions? Having the outward appearance of devotion but not the heart of it? Comparing yourself to others and bemoaning the seeming unfairness of your situation is a good indication that you’ve lost your focus and are no longer really living your life.

Thankfully, Jesus is clear and uncompromising in his encouragement of abundant living. He says to us today, ‘Do not be worried and distracted by many things. Remember, only one thing is needed!’

PRAY AS YOU GO

Our prayer today is taken from a song by Vicky Beeching entitled ‘Undivided Heart’

Brokenness has brought me to my knees
Face to face with all that’s dark in me
I can barely see you through my shame
Jesus come and wash me white again
Flood me with your healing light
Help me choose what’s true and right

Give me an undivided heart
I want to love you with every part
Give me an undivided soul
I want to be yours alone, yours alone

At the cross I find your open arms
Reminding me there’s grace for all I’ve done
With your blood you wipe away my past
Taking on yourself my sin and scars
By your power help me change
Break off every single chain

Give me an undivided heart
I want to love you with every part
Give me an undivided soul
I want to be yours alone, yours alone

No comments: