Wednesday 20 October 2010

Conversations

DAILY BYTE

Consider this conversation:

Hey Joe, what are you doing this weekend?

Hey! My boss got me the most amazing tickets to the rugby – box seats to the Sharks/Cheetahs game. I’m so excited – I’ve been looking forward to this for weeks. I’m gonna eat my heart out with all that free food – not to mention all the free drinks, and then after that, we’re gonna have a braai at the stadium. I mean – seriously great weekend coming up. What about you?

Yeah – cool – yeah – we’re going to have a braai, too…. And then I promised my other friend I’d go with him to see that new Saw movie. Looks awful, but hey – it’s something to do….

Or this conversation:

Hey Jane, what’d you get up to last weekend?

Oh hey! I’m absolutely obsessed with jazz, so it was such a cool weekend because the Durban Blues Festival was going on. I spent the whole weekend just hanging out, going to the different bands – it was the best weekend ever!

Cool – wow – I wish I’d caught that – it sounds amazing – instead I was stuck at church, cleaning out the storage closets, but hey, maybe I’ll get to do something cool next weekend….

Do conversations like this sound familiar to you?

Or even this:

Jeesh, Joe, I’m feeling pretty confused about my life at the moment and what I think about God and stuff – you know? I mean, my parents raised me to let me figure things out for myself, but I just really don’t know – it all seems so confusing. What do you think?
Ummm, well – I, uh, go to church every week – it’s pretty cool. I think it’s important to go – I mean, I’ve always gone – you know?

No, perhaps Joe doesn’t know. Perhaps Joe really wants to know. But we are too shy and afraid to talk about it.

Can you hear your own voice in these conversations? This week, we’ll be exploring how we talk about our faith. If we are disciples of Jesus Christ, what does that mean for how we interact with other people?

FOCUS READING

Psalm 47:5-7 (NRSV)

God has gone up with a shout, the Lord with the sound of a trumpet. Sing praises to God, sing praises; sing praises to our King, sing praises. For God is the king of all the earth; sing praises with a psalm.

No comments: