Monday 12 December 2011

Finding Forgiveness – Part 1


(This week’s BDC was written by Rev Gareth Killeen)

DAILY BYTE

There is a lovely story set in medieval times of two monks who were on a long journey through a great forest. The first monk was middle-aged, had been in the monastic order for years and was renowned for his wisdom. The second monk was a young novice. As they walked along the forest’s winding path, the hours went quickly by, sometimes they were in conversation, and other times they were silent.

At one point they came upon a wide, rapid stream. Sitting at the edge of the water was a young woman who was evidently very distressed. When she saw the two monks, a look of relief crossed her face and she stood up to address the older of the two, "Father, you would be doing me the greatest of favours if you would agree to carry me across the river. The water is swift and I do not know how to swim. If I should slip I may drown.”
"Of course, my child," the monk replied, "I would most willing to carry you across."

The novice shot his companion a surprised glance, for under the rules of their particular order, they were strictly forbidden to even touch women. Nevertheless, the older monk took the woman in his arms, and carried her safely across. After she thanked them both she went on her way, and the monks continued in their own journey.

There was silence between them for an hour, and then two. Finally, the younger monk mustered up his courage to speak. "Father," he said, "you know that we are not allowed to touch women."

"Yes, I know that," he replied.

"Then how could you carry that woman across the stream?"

“My son," the older man replied, "I put that young woman down two hours ago. But you are STILL carrying her."

This story is very much like the parable in this week’s focus reading. Instead of a different focus reading every day, this week we will be concentrating on just one reading in an effort to thoroughly wrestle with and understand it. Please open your Bible and read through Matthew 18. 21-35 a few times before continuing with today’s devotion.

Now the reason the monk story is very much like that parable is because they are both stories about carrying things around in our hearts that are not healthy for us. When the first servant in this parable was faced with ruin and slavery, he begged the King for mercy. The King relented and forgave him. But like the young monk who could not let go of the woman, this servant still tightly gripped his own lack of forgiveness to his chest. No sooner had his debt been forgiven than he turned around and threw a fellow servant into prison until he repaid him a much smaller debt. We all know the end of this story. The servant’s lack of forgiveness lands him up in a torture chamber.

How do you handle forgiveness? Do you find it easy to let go of the hurts others have caused you, or do you struggle to let go? Is there something burning within your soul at the moment – some hurt you have received that you refuse to forgive? Perhaps you have been a victim of crime, or abuse and no matter what you do, you cannot let go of the anger and pain within? Or perhaps you have caused someone else grievous pain and have refused to ask forgiveness? Whatever it is, know that it is not God’s desire for us to carry that pain within us for the rest of our days. God’s own love and forgiveness offers to heal us and set us free.

PRAY AS YOU GO

Lord God, thank you for the incredible way you have always forgiven me of my sins. Help me to acknowledge where there is a lack of forgiveness within me, and bring me to a place where I can let go of the bitterness and hurt within. Amen.

FOCUS READING

Matthew 18: 21-22 NIV

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

No comments: