Friday 31 July 2009

Light on the Journey

DAILY BYTE

One of my great delights when flying overseas is looking out of the window. Yes, I know, I am quite easy to please! Sure, it is fun to watch the movies on the plane or to eat the food or to listen to the music, but the part I love the most is waiting for the sun to appear at dawn. Sitting by the window waiting for the long night to be over and to see the first glimpse of the sunrise is a magically moment. I guess it speaks to me of the promise of a new day and that finally the long flight is nearly over!

As we briefly mentioned yesterday, sometimes our ‘pilgrimage’ through life can feel as if we are ‘flying in the dark’. Things are going against us, people disappoint us, we don’t have any answers and even God seems deaf to our prayers.

This is indeed how Job felt. He was a godly man and yet it seemed that the Lord was being intentionally silent to his cries for help. Job commented: “My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside” (Job 23:11). Despite all of his best efforts, it seemed as if God had forgotten his telephone number. Without God, Job found that his journey was still extremely lonely and difficult.

Are you perhaps feeling something similar today? Do you feel as if your path is heading up a steep incline and that you are already exhausted? Or do you feel as if you are walking in the dark and you keep stubbing your toes? If this is you then make sure you read on.

Jesus promises us many wonderful things in scripture, but none can be more exciting and hopeful than ‘I am the Light of the world!’ (John 8:12) He tells us that he will usher in the dawn – he will make the light shine in our darkness. And what could be better after enduring a long journey in the dark, than to see the glimmer of light? Jesus is our light and hope and he can turn the darkness into daylight.

The Psalmist also understood this to be true when he wrote ‘The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?’ (Psalm 27) At the end of his many struggles Job was also able to turn around and point out how God had been with him. And what about you and me? These promises are for us too! So even though your journey seems to have taken you into the ‘shadow of death’ remember that shadows can only exist if there is Light somewhere. Jesus offers to be that Light for us. The shadows may linger for a while, but soon they will be overcome by the light of Christ.

PRAY AS YOU GO

Lord, I need to know that you are in control of my life and that you can turn the darkness into light. You have drawn near to many people and healed them, so please pour your Spirit upon me today. Shed your light upon my path so that I may walk in your ways.

SCRIPTURE FOCUS

Read through Psalm 27 and John 8. See what the Lord says to us about His Light.