Thursday 11 November 2010

Inside Out Connection - Part 4

DAILY BYTE

When it comes to sharing the good news about Jesus with others, many people feel intimidated and inadequate. They say things like:
“I won’t know what to say.”
“I’m not experienced enough in my faith.”
“What if I’m asked something about the bible that I don’t know how to answer?”

These concerns may be sincerely felt, but they miss the point. Being a witness to the good news does not require a theological degree or having a carefully crafted sermon at your fingertips. We are not expected to speak about what we do not know, or have all the answers when clearly we don’t, or even to pretend that we are convinced about something when doubts and uncertainties remain. That is not what is required.

In witnessing to the good news we are simply expected to share what we do know - that which has arisen out of our own experience - and invite others to consider it for themselves. That is what the Samaritan woman from Sychar did. “Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did,” she said. But notice too her uncertainty and the presence of questions and doubts when she asked with honesty, “Could this be the Christ?”

There’s another wonderful example later in John’s gospel when the Jewish authorities questioned a man who had been born blind, whom Jesus had healed. The authorities were making theological allegations against Jesus, saying that he was a sinner, but this man simply responded by saying, “Whether he is a sinner or not, I do not know. But one thing I do know - I was blind but now I see.” (John 9:25)

Of course there’s a whole lot of things about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the Church and our faith that we do not understand. And certainly, as the disciples of Jesus we need to grow in our knowledge and understanding of these things. But that’s a separate issue. All that’s required of us as witnesses to the good news is to share what we know and to invite others to come see for themselves.

Now that’s Good News!

PRAY AS YOU GO

Thank you Lord that I have a story to share. A story that continues to unfold as I carry on with this journey of faith as your disciple. Lord, I know that my story may not be the most dramatic, but it is my story and it speaks of your love and your goodness to me, and so I thank you for that. Thank you that you want my story to be shared as a witness to others. Give me the courage to begin looking for opportunities to do so. And above all keep me humble and truthful in the witness that I offer. Amen.

FOCUS READING

John 4:39-42 – NIV

Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, "He told me everything I ever did." So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers.
They said to the woman, "We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world."

No comments: