Thursday 18 November 2010

Standing up front

DAILY BYTE

Do you think people have to have a certain “level” of faith or experience to be involved with participating in and leading worship?

Certainly, there is an integrity that we need to have when we guide other people in doing this work, but I think that more than certainty in faith or ability in public speaking, I think the most important thing about leading worship is commitment to the work that God wants to do through you.

Are you commited to the fact that God wants to work through you?

Do you realize that the Holy Spirit lives within you and is just craving to get out and be shared through your passions and gifts?

When we do the work of worship, we are a crucial instrument of God, but the work is not about us.

When I’m encouraging people to stand up in front of the congregation in an act of worship, I almost always tell them – remember that this is not about you standing up in front of a group of people with everyone staring at you, waiting for you to mess up...even though that’s what it feels like when you stand up in front of a big group of people.

Leading people in acts of worship is about standing in the strength of God and allowing God to work through you to touch peoples’ lives. The focus in worship is not on you – it is on God.

If you can believe that a preacher used to be terrified of public speaking, then believe it. It is true of me. I didn’t even like raising my hand to answer questions in class, as a child, growing up. I hated that feeling that all eyes were on me, either expecting me to proclaim words of brilliance or expecting me to fail.

I can remember telling a mentor that even if I were one day to preach – how on earth would I know what to say?

And she just smiled and said – if you one day let God use you that way, God will help you know what to say.

The work of worship is about focusing ourselves, our community, and the whole world on the work, the power, the greatness, and love of God. God will teach us how to do this work. God will teach us what to say, and it will matter. Do you want to work together with God? Do you want to let God use you?

PRAY AS YOU GO

Encouraging God, I want you to take me and mould me and use me to bring life to the world. Help me to discern how best I can share my gifts. And then, give me the strength and passion to remain committed to your vision for my life. Amen.

No comments: