Monday 24 January 2011

An Invitation to Intimacy - Part 1

For the next few weeks, our BDCs will be based on the daily devotions from the book “The Hour That Changes Everything” by John van de Laar. Join us as we journey…

Focus Scripture

Read Psalm 42

Daily Byte

The cry of the psalmist is the cry of every person who has ever lived. Whether we acknowledge it or not, whether we use the name “God” or not, we all long for intimacy with God, with Spirit, with the transcendent reality that sustains the universe. Like the psalmist we can all remember times when we had a glimpse of this reality, when, in an unexpected moment, we became gloriously aware of God’s presence and love. In this psalm, the writer uses his memory of such a time to inspire and encourage him to hope for the future. God is still present even through he may not feel it, and he is able to commit to the quest for intimacy again.

How does the psalmist’s longing resonate with you? When have you experienced times of close connection with God? To what extent do you feel that worship draws you into intimacy with God in your life now? How can you commit to the quest for intimacy in a more purposeful, intentional way over the next seven weeks?

Pray As You Go

I am one who seeks after love,
I long for its touch, I yearn for the warm softness of its kiss
In this place I wait
and open my heart.
I am one who remembers my Lover,
The God who seeks, the God who calls my name;
The God that I love because God loved me first;
The God who invites me into joyful intimacy;
The Lover whose offer I will not neglect.
This is my time to respond and worship.

Alleluia.

Amen.

No comments: