Wednesday 26 January 2011

An Invitation to Intimacy - Part 3

Focus Scripture

John 17 : 21-23 (NRSV)

... that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Daily Byte

This prayer is often called “The High Priestly Prayer of Jesus”. Here Jesus comes to God and prays on behalf of his followers - those who were with him back then, and those of us who have chosen to follow him throughout the ages since. One word summarises the content of this prayer - “unity”. Jesus prays that all his followers would be one; inviting us into the unity Jesus enjoyed with God the Father and the Holy Spirit. The intimate union of the Godhead is available for us to share! And it is in knowing God - that we find eternal life, abundant life, life to the full (John 17:3). What grace and generosity we find in God. What a wonderful opportunity God gives us to live lives that are filled with God’s presence.

What do the words “one with God” mean for you? In what ways do you already experience being on with God? How do you think worship can help you to connect with God even more? Why not try and spend today in a constant sense of union with God, and see what kind of difference that makes?

Pray As You Go

You never really get tired of knocking, do you, Jesus?
Your gentle persistence as you seek a welcome
is both amazing and disturbing;

There are times when I wish you would just leave me alone;
times when I don’t want to have to deal with you;
Your constant seeking of attention
for the hidden and voiceless ones,
your gentle call to live always from the best of me,
your persistent presence making itself known
in all that I do and say and think.

But, most of the time, I am grateful that you seek to be welcomed;
I am glad that you give me the voice to invite you in
and that you welcome me so freely;

It seems strange that, as God, you don’t just demand entrance but wait for me to open the door;
that you don’t just radiate your glory and make your knocking unmistakable,
instead of hiding in the faces of children and creatures, earth and sky, broken and wounded ones.

But, for all its mystery, your coming, your knocking
your gentle asking for access is a gift beyond measure;
A gift that I receive, when I remember who you are, with humble thanks and open submission.

Amen.

Today’s devotion is taken from Rev John van de Laar’s outstanding book ‘The Hour That Changes Everything: How worship forms us into the people God wants us to be.’ Used with permission.

To order copies of this book and for other superb worship resources visit http://www.sacredise.com

1 comment:

Dog Collar said...

I just came across this blog and found it very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.