Thursday 15 April 2010

I am the Good Shepherd

DAILY BYTE

Yesterday, we looked at God’s aversion to scattering in Ezekiel – let’s look now at how God fleshes out his understanding of unity in the Gospel of John.

As we look at the Good Shepherd passage, keep in mind that the Gospel of John was written in the context of a community that was desperately struggling with unity. These were some of the very earliest Christians, and there were many questions of how to remain united as followers of Christ while still loving and interacting with the surrounding community. Things have not changed so much.

And so in the midst of this challenging situation, we thankfully find Jesus saying, “I am the Good Shepherd.” This is one of Jesus’ famous “I am” sayings. It takes us straight back to the beginning of Scripture, uniting us with all of the people of God since the Book of Exodus when Moses asked God for his name, and God said simply – I AM.

I AM - what? I AM the Good Shepherd is one response. In the core of my being, God says, I desire to lead you, to find you, to care for you, and I desire for all of you to follow who I am.

And Jesus doesn’t just say he is a shepherd. He says, I am the good shepherd, which reminds us that if there’s a good shepherd, there must be a bad way of shepherding. And we remember Ezekiel, where the shepherds exploited and scattered their own sheep.

But Jesus says, “I am the good shepherd.” I AM the God who does nothing for personal gain, but instead lays down my life. In these short eight verses, Jesus talks about laying down one’s life five times.

In Greek, the word for ‘life’ does not just mean bodily living. It’s the root from where we get our words like psyche and psychology. It means one’s inmost being – in addition to the physical body. As the good shepherd, God gives himself – his inmost being and his body – so that everyone might relate to one another with the same kind of loving sacrifice and bring his goodness into the world.

How have you seen the good shepherd working in your life?

What of your inmost being are you willing to lay down so that all people can experience goodness, love, and care?

GUIDING SCRIPTURE

John 10:11 (NRSV)

“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

IF YOU ARE FEELING BRAVE…

Make a list of the ways you have seen the good shepherd leading and caring for you in your life. Pray about how you might be able to share some of this goodness and grace with others you meet today.

No comments: