Monday 19 September 2011

Jacob’s Calling


DAILY BYTE

(This week’s BDC was written by Rev Gareth Killeen.)

Have you ever discovered something that brought unexpected joy into your day? Like putting on a pair of jeans you haven’t worn in a while and discovering money in the pocket!

Or looking up the answer to a long-running argument you were having with your spouse and discovering that you were right all along! What a fantastic feeling ... that must be. I say ‘must be’ because that actually hasn’t happened to me yet, but here’s hoping that maybe one day ...

This week we will discuss the topic of ‘calling’ – this is the idea that God has created all people with a special purpose and destiny in mind and that central to life and fulfilment itself is living in a way that is obedient to this calling.

However, the topic of calling seems to be an area where there are many misconceptions and misunderstandings clouding something that should actually be joyful and life-giving for us.

We live with so many questions surrounding our callings that we are prevented from moving forward into them in any meaningful way. Questions such as: What exactly is my calling and how do I find it? If I do find it then how am I meant to express it? Why do others seem called by God and have these powerful dreams for their lives but not me? I understand how God could have used wonderful people like Mother Theresa or Bishop Tutu, but what possible use could he have for someone like me?

This is what I love about the story of Jacob. When Jacob is first called by God, he has just totally messed up his life. He has lied and weaselled his way one time too many, and then been caught out and so forced to flee for his life. In the middle of his journey, late one dark night, Jacob flings himself down with a stone for a pillow and has a dream.

It is an incredible dream where God affirms and calls him. Yes, God promises Jacob – lying, deceitful, little coward that he is – that he would be used by God in a quite wonderful way.

This is why I think that if we spend some time in the company of Jacob’s dream it could teach us much about our own. If we recognise the sheer grace that was behind Jacob’s calling, then we might create some space in our hearts to receive that also.

We may even make some joyful and unexpected discoveries about God’s plans to use us to make a difference in this world.

Do some thinking for yourself around the topic of call. Do you feel called by God? What larger purpose does your life have? Commit your thinking to God in prayer.

PRAY AS YOU GO

Gracious Father, help me to understand something more about my life’s larger destiny and purpose. Help me to move through any misconceptions and misunderstandings I might have. May this week be one where I joyfully discover truths about my life that I was not fully aware of before. Amen.

FOCUS READING

Genesis 28:10-15 NRSV

Jacob left Beer-sheba and went toward Haran. He came to a certain place and stayed there for the night, because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones of the place, he put it under his head and lay down in that place. And he dreamed that there was a ladder set up on earth, the top of it reaching to heaven; and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. And the Lord stood beside him said, “I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and God of Isaac; the land on which you lie I will give you and to your offspring; and your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south; and all the families of the earth shall be blessed in you and in your offspring. Know that I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.”

No comments: