Friday 1 July 2011

Jesus Prays for Us


FOCUS TEXT

John 17:17-26

Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth. I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.

DAILY BYTE

Today, as we conclude this week’stheme of prayer, let us reflect on the Lord’s prayer. No, I am not referring to the Lord’s Prayer that you and I know by heart and which is prayed collectively around the world. I am referring to the prayer of our Lord for his disciples. This is a prayer that is often overlooked and that is sadly underappreciated.

After talking to his disciples about the things that were to come (about his return to the Father, and about the Holy Spirit coming to lead us to all truth) Jesus prays for his disciples. In his prayer, Jesus essentially asks his Father for two things: Sanctification and unity. He prays for God to sanctify his disciples in truth, for God’s Word is truth.

Sanctification is defined as being set apart, consecrated, and made holy. Jesus prays for his disciples to be made holy so that as they minister to the world, the Word of truth will flow fluently through them. Jesus also, prays for unity. You and I must pay close attention to this part of Jesus’ prayer. Jesus says, “I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one.” In this portion of this prayer, Jesus is specifically praying for you and I. What a wonderful thought! Jesus, the Son of God, the one who has redeemed us, the one through whom and for whom all things were made, prayed for us! You and I and millions of others around the world and throughout history, people who have already left this earth and people who are yet to be born, have believed and will believe through the words of the disciples. Thus, Jesus prayed for you and me. That is why we must pay close attention to his prayer. We must learn from its words and pray ourselves what Jesus prayed. Jesus asks his Father for us to be made one just like Jesus and the Father are one.

Think about it. One of the main factors that discourage people from attending church is the lack of unity they see. It is quite a paradox that Christianity is a religion whose core is love and forgiveness, and yet it is arguably the most divided religion one can find. Also, if we think about our local congregations, we will also find divisions and schisms present there. Jesus prayed for us to be one. Why? So that the world would believe that God sent him to the world. Jesus prayed for his disciples to be sanctified by the Father in truth so that they would minister to the world. You and I are disciples of Jesus. We must hear this call to be sanctified, to set ourselves apart for God, so that having God at the center of our lives, we can become one. It is only in unity within the body of Christ, within our local congregations that we will be able to effectively proclaim the love of God for this world.

PRAY AS YOU GO

Father, we pray like Jesus prayed. Sanctify us in your truth so that we can communicate your true Word with those around us. Help us be one, like you and your Son Jesus are one. Help us be one in you. Help us make you the center of our lives and of our congregations so that the world will believe that you sent your Son into the world because of your love. Amen.

No comments: