Monday 25 July 2011

South African Treasures


FOCUS TEXT

John 10:9-11

I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

DAILY BYTE

My time in South Africa is drawing to an end. I can’t believe how fast this time of growth and service has passed. I can sincerely say that I have received so much more than what I have given.God has blessed me in so many different ways during my time of service at Manning Road Methodist Church. As I enter into my final week in Durban, I would like to share with you some of the blessings that have edified my life in the past few weeks.

In the sermon that the Reverend Roger Scholtz preached yesterday at Manning Road Methodist Church, he spoke of the kingdom of heaven. He reminded us of the words of Jesus that compare the kingdom of heaven to a treasure hidden in a field. Reverend Scholtz urged us to understand that though the kingdom of heaven is a treasure, it is not a treasure to be possessed or grasped on to. Rather, the kingdom of heaven is a treasure that is in God’s hands and which you and I will find in surprising places. Yesterday’s gospel message called us to realize that the treasures of God’s kingdom are not to be possessed but are to be enjoyed, cherished, and shared with others.

I have found many treasures of God’s kingdom here in South Africa, and I have often found them in unexpected places. One of the greatest treasures I have found here is that of friendship. In spite of the brief period of time that I have spent here, I have been blessed with friends of all ages. One of the aspects of friendship that I appreciate the most is communication. True friends are able to speak to one another openly and sincerely. It is in such conversations that God speaks to us through our friends. By the grace of God I have been able to hear God’s voice through several friends here in South Africa. One of my South African friends has just turned eight years of age and his name is Julian. I met him on my first day at the MRMC office. That same day he showed me a comic book called “Soccer Strikers” and as he opened one of the pages, he shared with me part of the story that he had been reading in which one of the characters was faced with a life or death situation. As he was sharing the story, he paused and asked me a question I was not expecting. Julian said, “If it was up to you... would you choose life or would you choose death?” Naturally I replied... “Of course I would choose life!” But Julian’s question has stayed with me throughout my time here in South Africa. Think about it. Do we choose life over death? In our daily lives, in the decisions that we make everyday, in our lifestyles... do we really choose life over death?

The decisions we make are up to us, God has given us free will. We are free to decide and our decisions often bring life or death in the broadest sense of those words. In today’s passage, Jesus tells us that he has come to this world so that you and I would have abundant life. Jesus, our good shepherd, has laid down his life so that you and I will have abundant life. I invite you to reflect with me on Julian’s question. Do we choose life in our everyday endeavors? Are our lifestyle choices life-producing and life-giving? Do we make choices that allow us to enjoy the abundant life that God offers us through Jesus Christ?

PRAY AS YOU GO

Father, we thank you for the treasures of your kingdom that are around us. We pray that you often surprise us by allowing us to find them in unexpected everyday places. Help us be open to new experiences and make us sensible so that we can hear your voice in the words of others. We praise you for Jesus your Son. Through him you have given us life. In Jesus you offer us life in abundance. We pray that through your Holy Spirit you guide us and inspire us to make life-giving and life-producing choices. Amen.

No comments: