Friday 29 July 2011

SA Treasures:Faith


FOCUS TEXT

Acts 19:11-12

God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, so that when the handkerchiefs or aprons that had touched his skin were brought to the sick, their diseases left them, and the evil spirits came out of them.

DAILY BYTE

As we reach the final edition of this week’s BDC I would like to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed writing for the BDC during my time in South Africa. This week I have been sharing with you some of the treasures of God’s kingdom that I have found in this beautiful country. I sincerely say that reflecting on God’s Word with you through the BDC has been a treasure in itself.

The last South African treasure that I want to share with you and invite you to reflect on today is that of faith. Paul tells us in his letter to the Hebrews that faith is the assurance of the things that we hope for and the conviction of the things that we cannot see (Hebrews 11:1). It is through faith that we respond to God’s loving grace and are able to come to the knowledge of God. It is through faith that we can enjoy a relationship with a God that we cannot physically see or hear. It is through faith that we can hope in God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Overall, my time in South Africa has helped me deepen my faith. I praise God for that. During my last days here in Durban God allowed me to get a glimpse of what faith is. I was able to see faith in action. I was granted an opportunity to see Paul’s words come to life.

There was a person who came to see me to the MRMC office one afternoon. This person had previously called me on my cell phone and asked for my help. When I heard the request over the phone I asked if the person could come meet me at the church office, so we set up a time to meet. I will sincerely say that I thought this person needed economic help and I was a little worried that I would not be able to provide assistance. When the time for the meeting came, this person sat down in my office and seemed very distressed. I asked how I could be of assistance. This person began to tell me about someone who is very dear to that person. This individual is currently suffering due to an accident that he had and is also making bad life choices. As I heard this person talk about the situation I could feel the pain that burdened the person’s heart. After the person explained the situation, I asked, “How can I help you!” To answer my question the person opened a bag and took out an item of clothing, handed over to me and said, “This shirt belongs to him, if you could just pray a blessing over it I know that God will set him free!” When I heard these words I was deeply moved. I placed the shirt in the person’s hand, placed my hands over it and prayed with all my heart for God to bless this man and to honor this person’s awesome faith. After praying I saw a wonderful smile come to the person’s face and was personally overwhelmed by God’s peace and joy.

PRAY AS YOU GO

Father, we thank you for the gift of faith. Thank you for allowing us to see the things that are unseen. Thank you for allowing us to hope in you through Jesus Christ. Thank you for those around us who trust in you so sincerely, help us follow their example of faith in you. Allow us to believe in the things you want us to believe in. Allow us to trust in you more and more every day. Amen.

No comments: