Monday 7 March 2011

Becoming Purposeful - Part 1

Focus Scripture

Genesis 22 : 11-18

But the angel of the LORD called to him from heaven, and said, ‘Abraham, Abraham!’ And he said, ‘Here I am.’ He said, ‘Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.’ And Abraham looked up and saw a ram, caught in a thicket by its horns. Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt-offering instead of his son. So Abraham called that place ‘The LORD will provide’; as it is said to this day, ‘On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided.’

The angel of the LORD called to Abraham a second time from heaven, and said, ‘By myself I have sworn, says the LORD: Because you have done this, and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will indeed bless you, and I will make your offspring as numerous as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of their enemies, and by your offspring shall all the nations of the earth gain blessing for themselves, because you have obeyed my voice.’

Daily Byte

It’s easy to miss the profound message of this passage by getting caught up in the moral question of Abraham’s attempt to sacrifice his son. It was different world back then, and people did not have the privilege of seeing God in the incarnate Christ. In a world where child-sacrifice was common, the idea that God would step in to stop the sacrifice was radical and completely new. But, the really incredible thing is this - God chooses a human being to fulfil God’s purposes in the world! Read that sentence again, and let it sink into your soul. God chooses to partner with us in saving the universe.

How do you feel about the idea that God seeks human partners for God’s work? Would you like to be a partner of God, or do you find that thought intimidating? In what ways does worship help you to understand God’s purposes in our world? In what ways does worship help you to participate in God’s purposes? As you contemplate the miracle of being co-workers with God, respond in praise and thanksgiving, and ask God to show you what your part is in God’s purposes.

Pray As You Go

An old man and a young boy,
a sacrifice stopped and a ram in a thicket,
these things point to an amazing truth, God:
that you use us to do your work!

And that means me, too;
somehow I have a part to play
in your saving and healing of the world.
It is more than I can understand
that my daily routines, my ordinary actions,
have eternal consequences,
but that’s what you tell me.

Help me to live up to your faith in me, Jesus,
to give each day to you as an offering of worship
and as an opportunity to partner with you
in bringing life and love into the world.

Amen.

Today’s devotion is taken from Rev John van de Laar’s outstanding book ‘The Hour That Changes Everything: How worship forms us into the people God wants us to be.’ Used with permission

To order copies of this book and for other superb worship resources visit http://www.sacredise.com

No comments: