Thursday 24 March 2011

Hunger: What are you taking in? - What do you choose to hear?

FOCUS SCRIPTURE

Isaiah 55:1-3

DAILY BYTE

As a child being taunted by a sibling, I was often told to respond, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!” It may have been somewhat effective in getting the offender to cease temporarily, but the more I have learned to understand the power of words to create or to destroy, the more I have realized that the message behind that catchy phrase is inherently untrue. We are shaped by the words and messages we hear. While some things do appear to go “in one ear and out the other,” we are never fully conscious of how what we hear becomes implanted in who we are.

I go through phases of avid radio listening, during which I usually listen to the news, hear a little about the latest and greatest cultural events, and pick up on the lyrics of new popular songs, as I’m sure you may, as well. One clear day in my mind, however, I drove home a few young people from church, and as we chatted about life, all of a sudden, out of no where, I found myself singing absentmindedly, “I kissed a girl and I liked it...hope my boyfriend won’t mind it…”

...which you may know are some of the lyrics from the recently popular Katy Perry song, aptly titled, “I Kissed a Girl.”

The person sitting next to me looked at me with a smirk, and I blinked - realizing what had been coming out of my mouth. I had never tried to memorize that song! You might say - oh it’s just a catchy jingle - it doesn’t really matter that it slipped in there. You’re taking yourself too seriously. Even - hey - I like that song!

But it does matter. The language we hear shapes the language we speak, and the words we speak are just as loud as our actions when we interact with other people. Think about the number of times when just one word or phrase out of someone’s mouth has left your ears ringing and your heart either devastated or soaring. Jesus, himself, is called the Word. We follow the teachings of a “living Word” in the scriptures. Preaching professor, Dr. Richard Lischer, reminds us in his book, The End of Words: The Language of Reconciliation in a Culture of Violence, that “When God created the world he did so by calling it into existence and naming it.” God used words that we can hear to create everything! What we listen to matters.

The point is not that we should stop listening to all popular music. We do not need to become people who live in a bubble unaware of “unchristian” language and culture. The point is that we have the ability to choose what we listen to - what we take into our bodies and souls through our ears. When we fill our brains unintentionally or intentionally with words and ideas that ultimately do nothing to bring us and those around us greater joy, satisfaction, and wisdom, we are taking up valuable space in our minds and hearts.

We are taking up space that could be filled with beautiful words, poetry, ideas, and music that could bring vibrant colour, richness, and healing to ourselves and others. And not only are we taking up space, but we may be squeezing out and destroying the beauty and wisdom that God is trying to plant there. What stories and songs do you need to hear to sustain you and form you more beautifully into the person God wants you to be?

Questions for reflection:
  1. To what and to whom have you been listening? Music? Radio? Other peoples’ voices? Make a list of the loudest voices, words, and messages you are hearing in your life right now.
  2. Now make a list of some of the softest voices.
  3. What do you hear that breaks down your understanding of self, clouds your understanding of God, and tears down others? What do you hear that is music to your ears, satisfying to your soul, challenging to your heart, and life-giving to others?
PRAYER
from “Open My Eyes, That I May See,” a hymn by Clara H. Scott

God, open my ears that I may hear voices of truth thou sendest clear; and while the wavenotes fall on my ear, everything false will disappear. May it be so. Amen.

No comments: