Tuesday 8 March 2011

Becoming Purposeful - Part 2

Focus Scripture

Jeremiah 1 : 4-10

Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.’ Then I said, ‘Ah, Lord GOD! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.’ But the LORD said to me, ‘Do not say, “I am only a boy”; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD.’ Then the LORD put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the LORD said to me, ‘Now I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.’

Daily Byte

The young man, Jeremiah, must have been shocked to discover that he had been made with a purpose in mind, that God had formed him for the ministry of a prophet. Clearly he was taken aback - uncertain of his abilities, and possibly of whether he even wanted the job. But his life was centred on this work, and through years of struggle, misunderstanding and persecution, he remained true to his calling. Maybe it was the assurance that he was born for this that carried him through. In some sense, Jeremiah’s experience is true for us all - we all have specific gifts and abilities that are useful for God, and God calls us to use them in God’s service. God does not call us to become something we are not. God calls us to offer what we are - what God has made us to be - in service of the Gospel.

What are you good at? How are those abilities useful to God? What are you not so good at? Have you ever tried to become good at those things because you thought you weren’t what you are supposed to be? What if you let go of that, and offered yourself to God just as you are? As you worship this week, listen for a sense of call, for the place where your gifts connect with the work of Christ in your church and your world.

Pray As You Go

We would never have expected it,
but you chose us.
We would never have believed it,
but you have called us to follow you.
We would never have know it could happen,
but you have given us a place
in your liberating work of salvation.

We are people of unclean lips,
sinful men and women,
weak and unworthy to be called by your name;
and yet, against all expectations,
not because we deserve it,
but because you are gracious and loving,
we are chosen.

Thank you.

Amen.

Today’s devotion is taken from Rev John van de Laar’s outstanding book ‘The Hour That Changes Everything: How worship forms us into the people God wants us to be.’ Used with permission

To order copies of this book and for other superb worship resources visit http://www.sacredise.com

No comments: