Friday 11 March 2011

Becoming Purposeful - Part 5

Focus Scripture

Matthew 28 : 16-20

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.’

Daily Byte

The call to make disciples is sometimes seen as a quest for some kind of global Christian empire. Teaching people to obey Jesus’ commands is sometimes thought of as coercing them to become part of the Church. But, what if Jesus had something else in mind? If love was the heart of Jesus’ message, perhaps the idea was for us to love people so much that they would want to know the God they saw in us. Maybe the only thing we need to teach is love - and that by example, rather than in words or doctrines. There is no question, though, that following Christ is not a personal, private affair. Following Christ leads us out into the world in a very public, very connected, way.

In what ways have you tried to lead other people to faith in Jesus? How has this worked for you? What do you think a disciple of Jesus is like? How would it be best to invite people to become disciples, do you think? If you were all anyone knew of Jesus, what do you think they would believe about him? How can you allow worship to lead you into deeper discipleship? And how can you carry your worship with you into your ‘public’ life?

Pray As You Go

Sometimes I wish I could keep my faith to myself, Jesus;
that I could be free of the pressure
of people watching me to see how I follow you.
Sometimes I wish you hadn’t called me to be part of your work;
I don’t want to be a ‘Bible-puncher’,
I don’t want to sound like I’m judging those who find it hard to believe.
But, you ask me to share my faith, Jesus;
to help people to know you and love you;
not by ‘preaching’ or judging,
not by proving them wrong,
or threatening them with hell,
but by allowing your love and grace,
your wisdom and welcome,
to be experienced through me.
Help me to be a disciple-maker, Jesus
in a way that is worthy of you.

Amen.

Today’s devotion is taken from Rev John van de Laar’s outstanding book ‘The Hour That Changes Everything: How worship forms us into the people God wants us to be.’ Used with permission

To order copies of this book and for other superb worship resources visit http://www.sacredise.com

No comments: